How to install Windows NT Server 4.0 on a PE server
Thank you for using the DELL server. This installation guide describes how to install Windows NT Server 4.0 on a DELL PowerEdge series server and hopes to help you with your work. CPU Installation Settings
Dell supports three NT installation methods: Printer Repair Training
1, Express Setup, which is DELL Open Manage Server Assistant (Green Light
Disk) Start the installation. This method will destroy the original partition and data on the hard disk.
2, Windows NT CD boot installation.
3, three boot floppy disk to start the installation. (The specific installation method is the same as the NT CD boot installation.)
The method of making three boot disks is: In the DOS environment, run i386\\WINNT/OX under NT CD and follow the prompts to make three disks.
DELL server does not support winnt /b mode installation (that is, Copy installation file to hard disk)
1, use DELL Open Manage Server Assistant (hereinafter referred to as DOSA) to start the server.
2. After selecting the language and accepting the license agreement, select the quick install icon (third from the left) at the top of the browser interface.
3. Select Server Installation
4. After setting the time zone and time, select ‘Start Server Setup’.
5. On the Config RAID controller page, select ‘No Change, and press Continue.
The factory default configuration of the disk array is two logical disks, the first 4GB, used to install the operating system, the remaining space is the second logical disk.
6. On the Select Operating System page, select ‘Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 Server’ and press ‘SaveInformation’.
7, select the file system (FAT /NTFS) and size of the boot partition, press Configure Hard-Disk Drive.
8. Enter the operating system related configuration information, where ‘Product ID is the CD KEY of the NT CD. Press ‘Save configurationInformation’ to continue.
9. Press ‘Start Operating System Installation’ and insert the NT CD as prompted.
10, the system will automatically complete the installation of NT according to the information you enter.
NT CD boot installation
First, install SCSI and RAID card driver
1, according to the specific configuration of the server, make the corresponding driver floppy disk.
The method is described in the section Creating a driver and downloading drivers.
2, start with Windows NT Server 4.0 CD, press F6 to load the driver. (If you start NT installation with a floppy disk, you do not need to press F6)
After the system self-test is finished, you will see a line of information (white text, black screen background):
"Setup is inspecting your computer's hardware configuration ( The installer is detecting the hardware configuration)..."
Press <F6> immediately (in this case only 1/2 second). After the screen, the screen will turn blue and a line of text appears: "Windows NT Setup."
3. Screen prompt Press the <S> key to specify another storage device, namely: Specify Additional Device
Select Others and press <Enter>. Insert the SCSI drive in the floppy drive and select the appropriate SCSI card driver according to the specific configuration of the server.
4. If the Dell server is configured with a RAID disk array, insert a RAID drive disk into the floppy disk drive.
Screen Tips Press the <S> key to specify another storage device, ie: Specify Additional Device
Select Others and press <Enter>. Select the appropriate RAID card driver according to the specific configuration of the server.
5, press <Enter> to continue, see the Welcome to Setup screen.
6, the system prompts whether to load other device drivers (Chinese interface), because the driver has been loaded, press Enter to continue.
7, when displaying the NT installation partition, the NT SETUP program can only recognize the maximum 8G hard disk space, and the installation partition can only be 4G.
The remaining hard disk space can be identified and managed after NT installation and partitioning and formatting with NT Disk Administrator.
8. When prompted to insert ‘Adaptec 7800 Family Manager Set for Windows NT 4.0’, insert the SCSI drive in the floppy drive.
9, if there is a RAID card in the system, the system prompts to insert ‘DELL PERC......NT 4.0 Device Drivers’, insert the RAID card driver disk in the floppy drive.
Second, install the network card driver
1, when the system prompts to install the network, please manually load the network card driver.
Do not let NT automatically detect or select NT default driver (Intel 82557-based), otherwise it will cause NT blue screen.
2. Select from from list, select Have Disk from disk, select A disk, and select the corresponding network card type in the list according to the specific configuration of the server.
Third, install the graphics card driver
1, you must install NT Service Pack 4 or higher, then install the graphics card driver.
2. Double-click 'Display' in the Control Panel and select 'Setting'.
3. Select 'Display Type' and select 'Change'.
4, select ‘Have Disk', select A disk, select the corresponding graphics card type in the list according to the specific configuration of the server.
Four installation tape drive
1, NT BACKUP program can only support ordinary tape devices.
If you are using an Auto Loader or Tape Liberay, use a dedicated backup software such as CA ARCServe or VeritasBackup EXEC.
2. If you want to use NT BACKUP, install the tape drive driver.
Open the 'Tape Device' in the Control Panel, select the 'Driver' page:
3, select 'Add', then select 'Install from disk> '. Select the appropriate tape drive driver according to the specific configuration of the server.
4. Run 'Program' -> 'Administrative Tools' -> 'Backup', select 'Operation' -> 'Hardware Settings'. If the tape drive you installed appears in the 'tape drive', the drive driver has been successfully installed.
1, start directly from DELL OPENMANAGE SERVER ASSISTANT (green CD).
Or put this CD into another computer (with 128M memory and IE5.0).
2, select the Create Disk (Diskette) icon (the fourth from the left).
3. Select the machine type (the machine type) and the operating system (Windows NT 4.0), and then select Next, as shown below:
4, select NT installation as shown below Required drivers:
SCSI driver: Select NT Support Files, NT4.0 SCSI.
RAID Driver: Select the first disk under NT PERC... (depending on the RAID card type).
NIC driver: Select NT Support Files, NT4.0 Intel Pro Family Adapter.
Graphic card driver: Select NT Support Files, NT4.0 Video Controller.
5, press Copy Files, according to the prompt to insert a floppy disk in the floppy drive.
Note: The system will automatically format the floppy disk, and all existing files and data on the floppy disk will be lost.
When you have finished each disk, please indicate the type of driver on the floppy disk.
1, please enter the following URL
2, select consumer or bussiness.
3, enter the product number or machine model, and then click Go.
4, select Downloads.
5, select the operating system, language, driver type, and then click Go.
6, according to the specific configuration of the server, select the driver corresponding to your server.
Download related drivers or tools
Chinese technical support website